The Finnish Institute of Occupational Health (FIOH) is a multidisciplinary research and specialist organization that focuses on safety, health, and well-being at work. We operate under the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health as an independent legal entity.
Our vision is “Well-being through work”. We believe that work is good for health and well-being, and that healthy, safe and meaningful work generates even more well-being which in turn leads to improved productivity and participation in work life.
FIOH aims to improve Finnish work life on the level of individual workers, workplaces, organizations, and society at large, through
- strategic research
- businesses with impact
- specialist advisory services
Our strategic research includes applied research and developmental projects in collaboration with national and international research institutes, universities, and public and private organizations. Through research we
- strengthen work ability and well-being at work and increase everyone’s opportunities to participate in work
- support people and workplaces during changes in work life and during the digital revolution
- support competencies and the renewal of skills in work life
- develop occupational health services as part of the health care system of the working-aged
- develop occupational safety and the management of risks in the work environment in accordance with Vision Zero
- help workplaces achieve a good indoor environment and workspaces that promote well-being.
The results of our services, based on research evidence and reliable, appropriate methods, will be seen in work life as improved health, safety, and well-being at work. Our ethically sustainable business areas are
- analysis and testing services tailored to the customer’s needs
- patient services in occupational medicine
- training and online courses
- development and consultation services.
Our extensive work life expertise is based on our personnel’s high level of education, decades of experience, multidisciplinary research, and continuous communication with workplaces. We use our multidisciplinary expertise and co-operate with our partners to promote good work life in Finland and worldwide.
We have around 480 employees. Our offices throughout Finland, in Helsinki, Kuopio, Oulu, Tampere and Turku, enable us to focus on the areas of expertise and needs of workplaces in different regions.