The Finnish Institute of Occupational Health (FIOH) is a multidisciplinary research and specialist organization that focuses on safety, health, and well-being at work. We operate under the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health as an independent legal entity.
Our vision is “Well-being through work”. We believe that work is good for health and well-being, and that healthy, safe and meaningful work generates even more well-being which in turn leads to improved productivity and participation in work life.
FIOH aims to improve Finnish work life on the level of individual workers, workplaces, organizations, and society at large, through
- strategic research
- businesses with impact
- specialist advisory services
Our strategic research includes applied research and developmental projects in collaboration with national and international research institutes, universities, and public and private organizations. Our current priorities cover
- work ability and working career
- small and medium-sized enterprises and growth
- transforming occupational health services
- vision zero in safety
- management of work environment risks.
We help companies to succeed by developing work, work communities and the work environment. Our extensive work life expertise is based on our personnel’s high level of education, decades of experience, multidisciplinary research and continuous communication with workplaces. We bring our best practices without delay to our clients in both trainings and service activities. The main areas of business are
- work environment analyses and laboratory services
- occupational disease diagnostics
- development of solutions for occupational safety
- personal protection equipment testing and certification
- development of work communities
- qualifying training for occupational safety and health professionals
We have around 500 employees. Our offices throughout Finland, in Helsinki, Kuopio, Oulu, Tampere and Turku, enable us to focus on the areas of expertise and needs of workplaces in different regions.